What is SSL?
SSL is nowadays not to be missed on the Internet. Through an SSL certificate which is installed on a website or webshop, all connections between the visitor and the website are encrypted and secured. This means that no one can watch your iDEAL process and in this connection can stop other packages to manipulate the payment.
Since 2015 Google also prefers websites with an SSL certificate over those without. This means that your website or webshop will get a higher position in the Google search results if it is equipped with a valid SSL certificate. We therefore recommend everyone to provide his or her website with a valid SSL certificate! To be able to realize this, we offer free let's encrypt certificates to all our customers. These certificates can be requested via the Free Lets Encrypt SSL on Your Website install guide. For the other (paid) certificates you can follow the guide below;
How do I install an SSL certificate?
Installing an SSL certificate that you have purchased, requires a bit more knowledge. We have tried to explain this in a very clear step-by-step plan below to make the installation process as easy as possible for you. You can start at the first step of the installation process below.
Go directly to:
- Step 1: Place the contents of the .crt file under the private key
- Step 2: Save the pasted content
- Step 3: Install root and intermediate certificates
- Step 4: Save the root and intermediate certificates
- Step 5: Check the SSL certificate
If all goes well, you received a ZIP file from your SSL certificate provider containing several files. Often, this file also contains the domainname.crt file. You can open this file with Notepad/text editor. It contains a code that you may paste under the end of the RSA private key. The private key page, as shown in the picture, is in DirectAdmin where you must be logged in, under the heading SSL certificates at the bottom of the page. Click on it and you will see the example below.
Under the private key, but close to it, paste the (entire) contents of the jedomeinname.crt. This includes the beginning and end parts, so literally everything in the file. Then click on the save button at the bottom and the file will be saved.
You have successfully pasted everything and then click save/save at the bottom. If everything went well, after clicking the save button you should get the message: Certificate and key saved. This means that the first step was successful and that the certificate and private key match. We now need to configure the intermediate certificates (the other files in the ZIP) in the next step.
- You click on the home button in DirectAdmin at the top, so you come back to the overview screen. Here we click again on SSL certificates at the bottom. Then you come back to the SSL certificate configuration page.
- Once on the SSL page, click on Click Here next to Click here to paste a CA Root Certificate. We now go to the page where we can paste the CA(root and intermediate certificates.
- First, check Use a CA cert so the system knows you are going to use the CA SSL certificates.
- Next, open the ZIP of the SSL certificate supplier again. You will see 2 other certificates, and sometimes 3. Open these with your notepad/text editor and paste them one by one in the available text box in your DirectAdmin page. There should be no empty lines between them, so everything should fit together nicely. Example:
- After you have entered this successfully, click the save button again to save everything neatly. The system will again give a positive message if you have configured everything correctly. The installation then takes a maximum of 5 minutes.
Now to check if everything is successfully installed and configured, we are going to run a test. We go to https://www.sslcheck.nl/ and enter the domain name. The system will then check if the certificate and the root and intermediate certificate are installed successfully. Once this is the case, the system will give a positive message and you will have successfully installed your own SSL certificate.
You really don't get it? Do not worry and contact the helpdesk! You can do this by using the live chat or by creating a ticket!